Saturday, April 30, 2016

Solo Performance #5: La Tierra










Purpose:

This was a socio-political commentary inspired by current campus events. This performance was rooted in history and in present day. The audio was of a 1972 speech given by Cesar Chavez at UCLA. His Latino/a labor movement was non-violent and considered to be very effective. 

This performance was a salute to his movement as well as a peaceful avenue to address current events. My primary intention was to spread a message of hope to people of color (not just Latina/os). The proverb: they tried to bury us but they didn't know we were seeds was a preface to this idea.

Burial process:

Very scary. But manageable. It began with the urge to laugh and smile out of discomfort which then escalated to anxiety and fear as the dirt fell on my face.

Future Adjustments:

I need to rethink how I want to integrate the Chavez speech and my own voice. I also want to look at timing and  placement (such as at what point I enter the stage and initiate the burial).

Video to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment